The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

The Easiest Way to get 100% in any Class

DISCLAIMER: THIS ARTICLE IS SATIRE AND IS MEANT FOR ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

Over my past four years at Memorial, one question that students in my classes have consistently pondered is what the best method is to guarantee scores of 100% on summatives. While there are several formulas currently preferred, including but not limited to studying with friends, rewriting notes, using flashcards, doing practice problems, or even talking to one’s teacher, the most effective is rarely brought up: not studying. 

While it may sound counterintuitive, up-and-coming research has been scientifically supporting the claim that a lack of studying results in the best test scores. According to research done by the College Board itself, those who score in the top 10% of AP exam takers reported studying 3 hours less per day than those in the lowest 50%, according to a survey taken by all examinees. By playing video games, hanging out with friends, or really doing any other activity than schoolwork, one can allow their brain time to process information. Even better, is failing to pay attention during class itself by talking or being on your phone, as this further minimizes the time spent focusing on the material itself, and therefore maximizing processing time. 

However, there is one key factor of this method that is often neglected, and results in the failure of those who don’t study, and that is that one must follow all test taking strategies before and during the test. Without getting a good night’s sleep before an exam, along with a good breakfast, plenty of hydration, and focusing your attention on the task, failure is almost a given. Such a regiment is almost impossible to achieve, which is the reason so many believe that failing to study is preparing to fail in terms of exams, since many of those who don’t study also don’t follow these exam preparation strategies. It also requires an extreme commitment to the act of “not studying,” as not a single minute of studying can be done outside of a class period, a principle called the “no studying law.” 

Although the method of “simply not studying,” is quite variable, and requires a certain amount of luck, it can be effective nonetheless. Those without the devotion to the “no studying law” may be better served trying one of the other methods of attempting to earn a 100%, such as “actually studying,” along with the other aforementioned techniques.