The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Check Out Some Clubs at Memorial!

VPM BSU (Black Student Union)

Black Student Union (BSU) is a student affinity organization consisting of leading Black and Brown students, promoting change in their community and our school. Our organization strives to serve and represent the many minority students who attend Memorial through a series of cultural, social, and academic-focused programming. The purpose of BSU is to promote activities of common interest as we strive to share with the greater Madison community elements of the black experience. Follow us on Instagram @vpm_bsu

Contacts: [email protected] [email protected]

VPM UAC (United Asian Club)

United Asian Club is a student-led organization that focuses on the culture, news, and events of Asian culture. We welcome everyone into our club no matter your race, ethnicity, religion, gender, or sexuality. Asian Club strives to educate its members on different Asian traditions, and current events happening in the city, state, and even world. Asian Club is a great way to not only meet some amazing people who are interested in Asian culture but also a great way to learn more about the world’s largest population. Follow our Instagram for more updates: @vpmasianclub

Contact: [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

VPM Multicultural Club 

VPM Multicultural Club is a student-led club made up of smaller affinity groups here at VPM. Our goal is to create a safe and diverse community for students of all cultures and backgrounds. We strive to learn from and support each other’s cultures every day. We hope to have monthly events of all different types to keep interactions exciting and beneficial for everyone. Follow us on Instagram @vpmmulticulturalclub and/or join our Google class (code: huzaa2k) Come and join us to make new friends and experiences!

VPM AQVA (Advocating for Queer Voices Alliance)

AQVA (Advocating for Queer Voices Alliance) is a LGBTQIA+ organization that was founded in 2023 and strives to spread awareness about LGBTQIA+ events, news, and people. This club believes in the human rights of equality for all people, regardless of what they identify as, as well as sexuality or gender. AQVA believes in educating those who are willing to expand their knowledge about the communities around them and wish to make a bridge between themselves and those of the LGBTQIA+ community and allies. Follow us for updates: @vpmaqva

Contact: [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

VPM FE (Female Empowerment)

Vel Phillips Memorial Female Empowerment is here to help empower females of all ages and backgrounds in our school and community. We do this through monthly organized outreaches, whether that be a fundraiser, donation, act of advocacy, or an act of kindness, as well as weekly club meetings where we strive to create a safe and fun environment for all students to be a part of. Take a look at the details on our Instagram @vpmfe! We would love to have you join us. 🙂 

VPM Senior Mentors 

Help build the student community at VPM! Seniors: Give the advice and support to underclassmen that you wish someone gave you! Underclassmen: Learn from a VPM senior who just went through it all! Get involved, make friends and connections, and get the guidance you need. This club requires a low time commitment, with only one (maybe two) meeting(s) a month! Share/learn advice, do fun activities, and add to your extracurriculars! Check out our Instagram for updates: @vpmseniormentors

Contact: [email protected] 

VPM Writing Club

At Writing Club, we believe in fostering community through sharing creativity. Our club provides a supportive environment for students to explore the written arts, from poetry to plays to novels. Join us for weekly writing prompts, group writing activities, a chance to present written works to peers, and of course, to make friends!

Contact: [email protected] [email protected] 

VPM Ultimate Frisbee

Memorial Ultimate Frisbee is a spring club sport that welcomes those with and without playing experience. Anyone interested in playing is encouraged to reach out, all are welcome and encouraged to play! Our season consists of afterschool spring practices, weekly games with other schools, and a few tournaments including the state championships and Mudbath, an annual tournament hosted by Memorial with teams from all over the Midwest. We promote both a competitive and sportsmanlike spirit. We’d love to have new players and hope to see you at a practice!! Our Instagrams are @vpmwomensultimate and @vpm_boys_ultimate – please DM us with any questions or email us at [email protected].

Contact: [email protected] 

VPM DDAF

Drama, Debate, and Forensics (DDAF) is one of the longest-standing clubs at Memorial. If you’re interested in all things speech, drama, arguing, or just want to explore more, DDAF is the place for you. Follow us @vpmddaf for more and check out vpmddaf.com

Our Drama department has news: this year, we have a newly renovated auditorium and a very promising theater director! We welcome everyone regardless of experience. If you’re interested in acting, helping out backstage, or anything theater related, join DDAF! Consider auditioning for the fall play on 9/6 and 9/7, or dropping into a tech session after school.

Debate is where your words turn into powerful tools and your ideas reshape reality. Sharpen your verbal skills and take part in thought-provoking competitions. If you prefer a more relaxed atmosphere, we’ve got fun debate contests lined up to support our club financially. There’s something for everyone! If you want to challenge yourself and make a meaningful impact, come join us at our first meeting on 9/7.

Forensics is for those who like anything speaking. Hone your skills through speech coaching and competing at tournaments all over Wisconsin with our fantastic forensics team! There are a variety of events that suit anyone interested in social and political topics to acting and everything in between. JOIN FORENSICS for the fun competition and amazing people. 

Contact: [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

VPM HOSA

If you’re interested in widening your knowledge of the field of healthcare, HOSA is the place for you. In this club, members get the opportunity to learn about conventional and unconventional careers in the health field and apply it in various ways. We host many activities throughout the year, like fundraisers, blood drives, guest speakers, and bake sales. We also have a competition season where students compete in health related events and can make it to State and/or Nationals. Join our Google classroom at: agc6ppd