The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Addams Family Reveiw

The Memorial drama department just had their annual winter musical! This year it was the Addams Family, a story of romance, comedy, and drama. It was truly a spectacle as it told the story of Wednesday Addams and Lucas Barnecie and their young love. But it didn’t stop there as a subplot developed through them with their parents. Wanting to get married the couple tells Gomez Addam – Wednesday’s dad –  and he goes to tell his wife Morticia. But! Wednesday declines this as she is scared of what her mother will think which leads to secrets kept by Gomez from Morticia which in turn threatens their marriage but they are able to resolve it in newfound love through their daughter. The Barnices have a toss up in their marriage after an intense game of full disclosure. In this game you drink from a cup and tell your darkest secrets. Pugsley Wednesdays little brother who is jealous of the attention that Lucas is getting from her poisons the cup. The plan goes awry when Alice, the mother of Lucas, drinks it instead! She tells how unhappy she is in her marriage and how Mal her husband has grown up andis loveless. He then has to win her love back and by the end fix their marriage. 

The show was spectacular! Everything was great and some stuff was amazing. It truly was a highlight of high school musicals. Many teachers gave it glowing reviews even comparing it to other professional musicals. One of the pieces that made it so great was the plot mixed with the comedy. This made the songs and talking pieces flow together as the actors delivered them beautifully. But the crew was even more important as the lighting was on point along with the set design and backup dancers wove the whole thing together. 

The only sad part of the musical was the band was a tad louder than the actors and this made it hard for some people to understand what was being said. But the same can be said for most shows as people may generally struggle to hear if the band is louder or they already have hearing problems.

Overall the musical was a hit and hopefully will get multiple Jerry nominations. It really was a spectacle to behold and it will be interesting to see what next year’s musical is like. If you didn’t get to see it, hopefully next will be just as good or better as this was truly a masterpiece in the musical theater department of Memorial. I hope that you congratulate the actors and everyone who worked on the show as they clearly poured their hearts and souls into it, making a beautiful piece of art to be enjoyed for all.