The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Get To Know The President Of Medlife!

Introduction and What is Medlife?

• Who are you and what is your connection to Medlife?
    • My name is Arina. I am the president of Medlife. Medlife is a nonprofit organization that provides healthcare access to impoverished communities around the world. Here at Memorial, we meet every Tuesday.
  • When did you first join Medlife and what inspired you to join?
    • I joined Medlife junior year. I liked how Medlife is an official organization outside of Memorial. I like the mission overall and how the club simultaneously incorporates multiculturalism with the medical field.

Goals and Aspirations of the Club

• What is the overall goal of Medlife? 
    • The overall goal would be to unite Chapters across the United States to fundraise, travel, and be a part of the larger Medlife movement in the fight for equal access to healthcare and education. 
  • What are some things Medlife has done in the past you hope to accomplish this year?
    • Last year, we raised funds for communities in Peru and Costa Rica and educated students about healthcare disparities in different countries. Basically, we are hoping to allow our members to broaden their knowledge about healthcare around the world. 
  • What are some of Medlife’s goals this school year?
    • One goal is to collaborate with other nonprofit organizations in Madison. One of our previous partners is the Ronald McDonald House of Charities. We hope to get more collaborators and fundraise more, as well. 
    • Another huge goal is getting people to go to the Service Learning Trip (SLT). An SLT, put simply, is a medically focused international trip. This year we will most likely go to Cusco, Peru. Basically, it is a volunteering opportunity for students where they can learn more about medical assistance, other cultures, and get to visit tourist attractions. 

What should potential members know? 

• How much of a commitment do you think the club is for regular members? How about board members?
    • For members, attending weekly meetings, keeping an eye out for SLT updates, and volunteering. We get points for attending each meeting and being rewarded for attending and volunteering. Commitment will get rewarded. 
    • As a board member, I definitely spend a lot of time planning, reaching out to nonprofits in Madison, and just doing general outreach. I have to contact Medlife HQ constantly. Social media engagement is also another big part. Another commitment is providing rewards for members. While it is a lot of work, it is also very fulfilling. 
  • What are some of the benefits of joining the club?
    • One member benefit is upcoming leadership positions! All of our board members are seniors who will graduate this school year. Students who will be at Memorial next year, have a chance to become a leader! 
    • We also offer numerous opportunities revolving around the medical industry. We also have a lot of exciting volunteering opportunities, such as the SLT, and collaborate with a lot of other nonprofits in Madison. 
    • We meet every Tuesday during lunch in room #2103. Be sure to stop by if you are interested!