The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

New Semester, New You!

Monday, January 29, 2024 marks the start of second semester (third quarter) for MMSD schools, and with first semester grades finalized on February 2nd, early February is the perfect time to reflect on successes and areas of improvement from the first half of the year. 

If the first semester went well for you, keep up the good work, and if it didn’t go quite how you expected, continue exploring what works well for you. Consider talking to your teachers, especially in subjects of difficulty, about how you could improve this next semester, including how you can change your study habits and what extra resources you might need for your educational success. Also, upperclassmen, particularly those who have already taken classes you are in, are more than willing to help you out if you ask for help with tutoring, testing and study tips, and general advice. Aside from older students too, your peers are perhaps your best resource for learning material and forming study groups, as understanding concepts from a voice your own age can sometimes be much more understandable.

You can think of the second semester as turning over a new leaf. Certainly for our freshmen, but really any class, think about how you could get more involved in our school community. Whether it be joining a spring sport, trying out a new club, or even getting involved with volunteering in our local community. Memorial offers so many great options for spring athletics including:

• Golf (Boys)
  • Baseball (Boys)
  • Softball (Girls)
  • Soccer (Girls)
  • Tennis (Boys)
  • Track and Field (Boys and Girls)

Or if athletics isn’t your thing there are over 50 other clubs and activities around school (available on the Memorial Extracurriculars google classroom, or at the link here), there are many options to explore your interests outside of the classroom. 

No matter how the first semester went for you, the second semester is a fresh page, offering the opportunity to continue learning, growing, and trying new things as a community. Keep up the hard work Spartans, and let’s make this semester even better than the last!