The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Packers’ Playoff Run

Mid-way through the 2023-34 NFL season, the Green Bay Packers sat at 3rd in the NFC North division, tallying an abysmal 3-6. This was expected: the Packers were the youngest NFL team in quite a while, at an average age of 25.7 years. The last NFL team as young as our Packers were the 2017 Cleveland Browns who went for a winless 0-16 campaign, the worst season by a team this century (along with the 2008 Lions). 

But something clicked in after Week 10. In contrast to the rocky 9-game start, QB Jordan Love led the league in passing touchdowns (17) and passing yards (2162) in the second half of the season, all while keeping his INT number to just 1. Their offense hit big play after play, even though the entire offense were rookies and second-years, with the exception of veteran RB Aaron Jones. The 3-6 Green Bay Packers finished the season as the 9-8 #7 seed Green Bay Packers, clinching the Wild Card spot after clutch wins against division rivals Minnesota Vikings and Chicago Bears in the final two weeks.

Against the #2 Dallas Cowboys, the Packers were expected to be bulldozed. After all, the Cowboys remained undefeated at home (8-0) and had one of the most explosive offenses in the entire league, with Dak Prescott, Tony Pollard, and Ceedee Lamb leading the charge. However, the Pack stunned Cowboys fans in the first half with four unanswered touchdowns. At 27-0, the Packers only continued their streak, with the game eventually reaching 48-16 before the Cowboys tallied two garbage time touchdowns for a final score of 48-32. 

It was much of the same narrative against the NFC leader San Francisco 49ers. Although the Packers failed to convert too many red zone chances, including a costly 41-yard FG miss by rookie K Anders Carlsen, the 49ers capitalized on these critical mistakes to win 24-21.

The Packers have now fired DC Joe Barry and much of the hatred was directed toward the kicker Carlsen. But the Packers are a young team that was never expected to have a .500 record, much less, make the playoffs. This playoff run shouldn’t be considered a failed Super Bowl run, but a valuable experience for the youngest NFL team in a while.