The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

US Open Highlights

REUTERS
Tennis – U.S. Open – Flushing Meadows, New York, United States – September 9, 2023 Coco Gauff of the U.S. celebrates with the trophy after winning the U.S. Open REUTERS/Mike Segar TPX IMAGES OF THE DAY

This year’s US Open Tennis Championships have been very exciting and groundbreaking. Here’s what you need to know. The top male singles players in the championship are Carlos Alcaraz, Ben Shelton, Novak Djokovic,Daniil Medvedev, and Audrey Rublev. Carlos Alcaraz is a 2-year-old Spanish singles tennis player. He won his first five matches but lost his sixth match against Daniil Medvedev in a 3-6,6-3,6-7(3-7) tie break. This was his first match lost in two years. Novak Djokovic and Daniil Medvedev were on track to move past the US Open however lost their final matches. Audrey Rublev is a 25 year old Russian tennis player. He won all his matches at the US Open and is now moving onto the laver cup. Ben Shelton, a 20 year old American singles tennis player headed into the semi finals as the last American at the US Open. Shelton also won all his US Open matches and has moved onto the laver cup. The top female singles players at the US Open Championships this year were Iga Swiatek, Aryna Sabalenka, Jelena Ostapenko, and Coco Gauff. Iga Swiatek is a 22 year old singles player who won five out of six of her matches, losing her sixth match to Jelena Ostapenko. Jelena Ostapenko also won all her matches leading up to her match with Coco Gauff. The final match for the women’s singles matches at the US Open was Coco Gauff versus Aryna Sabalenka. Aryna is a 25 year old singles player and won five out of six of her matches but lost to Coco Gauff 6-2, 3-6, 2-6. When Coco Gauff won she became the youngest American woman to win in New York since 17 year old Serena Williams in 1999. She had a dramatic comeback in her match against Aryna Sabalenka and by winning she became the 12th teenager in history to win the champion title and became the third American teen ever to win the US Open Championship.