The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

The Supreme Court’s New Gun Rights Decision

The Supreme Courts New Gun Rights Decision
Pix4Free.org

A new gun control case has been taken on by the U.S. Supreme Court, namely U.S. vs Rahimi. The case deals with if people with a protective order or restraining order against them should have the right to possess firearms. The Supreme Court will decide if this law is constitutional or if it violates the Second Amendment on its face. If the Court decides the law is not constitutional, it could result in an increase in domestic gun violence. 

Before 2022, second amendment cases were handled using a combination of history along with achieving current government interest. But in 2022, a case came along that caused a shift in the way second amendment cases were handled. In New York State Rifle and Pistol Association (NYSRPA) vs. Bruen, the United States Supreme Court decided that instead of using a two-part Second Amendment test that was previously used by circuit courts where contemporary considerations such as public safety were of primary concern, there would be a new test leaning more heavily on historical traditions of firearm regulation.

The U.S. vs. Rahimi case gives the Supreme Court a chance to clarify their decision in the NYSRPA vs. Bruen case to the lower courts. That clarification will affect the way gun cases, which are continuing to grow, are handled. Furthermore, it could help protect victims of abuse from gun violence.