The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Four Summer News Events You Should Know About

As we dive into the school year ahead, it’s important to reflect on the most notable events that unfolded worldwide during the summer of 2023. Here are four major events that you need to know about. 

1. Former President Donald Trump’s Indictment: After President Trump’s presidency ended in January of 2021, the U.S. government, led by Jack Smith, spent two years trying to recover records from his South Florida property, Mar-a-lago. They discovered classified documents that were being kept in boxes including information about defense and weapons capabilities of both the U.S. and foreign countries. Trump’s indictment includes 37 charges, at least four of which carry a maximum penalty of twenty years in prison. Trump was then indicted on 41 charges again on August 14, 2023 for attempting to overturn the 2020 election. Trump claims that these indictments are politically motivated, as he is the frontrunner for the 2024 Republican party presidential nomination. There is much discussion and speculation about how events will unfold how these indictments will affect the 2024 election.
  2. Titanic Sub Implosion: On June 18, Titan, a submersible imploded during an attempt to see the wreck of the Titanic, off the coast of Newfoundland, Canada. There were five people aboard including founder and CEO of OceanGate, the company that created the Titan, Stockton Rush. Titan lost connection with its mother ship, Polar Prince, one hour and forty-five minutes into the expedition. When the submersible failed to resurface at its scheduled time, authorities were alerted. However, it wasn’t until four days later that a remotely operated underwater vehicle discovered debris containing parts of the Titan. The U.S. Navy’s sonar detection determined that the pressure hull had imploded resulting in instant death to the five aboard. 
  3. Affirmative Action Ruling: On June 29, the Supreme Court overturned affirmative action, declaring race cannot be a factor in college admissions practices. The decision requires schools to look for new ways to achieve diverse student bodies. The case resulted in a 6-3 ruling. The majority used the 14th amendment, which was originally created to protect Black Americans, as evidence to lift affirmative action. President Joe Biden stated that he strongly disagrees with the court’s ruling and encourages colleges to seek other routes to diversity. Many colleges immediately responded to the ruling, sharing that they were committed to diversity regardless of the court’s decision.
  4. Wildfires and More Wildfires: With summer comes dry heat resulting in a lot of wildfires. Canada has experienced a devastating amount of wildfires covering 34 million acres, an area larger than Greece. These fires have resulted in dozens of deaths and thousands of evacuations, and has sent smoke as far as Norway. The smoke turned New York City’s sky orange for some time and triggered hazardous air quality alerts in many areas including Wisconsin. In other areas, in Greece, fires broke out close to Athens, covering the capital in smoke and leading to evacuations from nearby towns. In North-West Turkey, firefighters use helicopters to drop water onto the encroaching forest fires, 1,200 people were evacuated to safety. In Maui, wildfires wreaked pure devastation with 115 confirmed deaths and over 1,000 people still missing, making it the deadliest U.S. wildfire in over a century. Hurricane Dora brought strong winds into Maui, knocking down at least 30 power poles, causing fires, resulting in residents dangerously caught between windy fires and wavy oceans.