The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

VPM Football Interview – Captain Rey Cruz-Perez

VPM Football Interview - Captain Rey Cruz-Perez

We interviewed Football Captain Rey Cruz-Perez to hear about this season.

“How are you feeling after the final game against Middleton?”
“Kind of sad to be honest, but I was proud of my team tonight. We fought to the end, so can’t be mad about that.”
“What was your favorite game this season?”
“I liked the Janesville Parker game, it was fun.”
“What is your favorite post game meal?”
“Mcdonalds for sure. We always go to Mcdonalds after the games. I get ten nuggets, two mcchickens, and a sprite.
“What did preseason look like this year?”
“It was a lot of hard work. A lot of lifting, a lot of conditioning, a lot of explosiveness work, four days a week. We get prepared for the season. Once August 1st hit we had “hell” week: eight hour practices for a week straight leading up to the first scrimmage.”
“What is your favorite spartan cheer?”
“RCP!”

“What are some words of advice for next year’s team?”
“Just keep working. Make the off season count. Work together. Hold each other accountable. Be leaders.”

The team ended the season with overall six games won, and four lost, and in conference five games won and two losses, only losing to Middleton and Verona. The season ended with the nail-biting playoff game against Middleton with an ending score of 28-20. Congratulations to the VPM football team on a great season. Thank you seniors for all the hard work you have put in throughout your career. We hope to have another great season next year!