The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Explorers May Have Found Amelia Earhart’s Plane

Amelia Earhart was a pioneer of American aviation and the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean. She was one of the first pilots to promote commercial aviation. In 1937, she attempted to be the first woman to fly around the globe. However instead of completing this mission, Earhart and her navigator, Fred Noonan, disappeared over the central Pacific Ocean. There were many theories as to what had happened to them. Some believed that they had ran out of fuel. Others suggested that they were captured by Japanese forces, or that they landed safely on a remote island. 

In December of 2023, the company Deep Sea Vision claims to have found a clue regarding the great mystery of Amelia Earhart. Toney Romeo, a former U.S. Air Force Intelligence officer and pilot and the company’s CEO, captured a sonar image of an aircraft shaped object on the bottom of the Pacific Ocean, that was from over 16,000 feet deep. The image was taken 100 miles from Earhart’s predicted next stop, Howland Island. Romeo plans to return to the site within the year to gather more information. He plans to use a remotely operated vehicle with a camera. He may even bring what he  finds to the surface. Underwater Archaeologist, Andrew Pietruszka, believes it is too soon to tell and that it could be something geologic, like a rock formation, or a different plane.