The Student News Site of Vel Phillips Memorial

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Sword & Shield

Book Rec: Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren

With Valentine’s Day fast approaching, romance books have more allure than ever – and for good reason. Few genres have the power to evoke such strong emotions in readers, and few genres have truly captured their readers’ hearts in the way that romance novels have. 

In the line of famous romance writers ranging from Jane Austen to modern favorites like Emily Henry and Colleen Hoover, Christina Lauren earns their spot with “Love and Other Words”. Contrary to immediate perception, Christina Lauren is not one person, but in fact, two. The renowned author duo is composed of Christina Hobbs and Lauren Billings and has produced nineteen New York Times bestselling novels.

In “Love and Other Words,” Christina Lauren bring us into a compelling, emotional world filled with the complexities of love, friendship, and the passage of time. Set in alternating places and within alternating timelines, the book follows the story of Macy Sorensen and Elliot Petropolous, childhood best friends who bond over their shared love of books. After ten years of radio static, the two finally reconnect and realize that it just might be the right time.

One of the most compelling things about this book is Christina Lauren’s realism. The characters are not just buttered-up puppets in a colossal love story, they are real people with very real flaws. They capture the reality of how misunderstanding can harshly divide, and how lack of communication can unexpectedly end even the deepest relationships. At the same time, they encompass the essence of a love that transcends time, charged with emotional conflict and the sweetness of experiencing it as teenagers.

All in all, “Love and Other Words” is an absolute must-read for romance lovers and general readers alike (specifically anyone who really loves books!). It will suck you in, twirl you around, and never leave your mind.